1.14.2013

Keremeos 2013

After driving through Penticton and arriving in Keremeos, we headed to the mobile park where he shares a home with Georgie, my step-grandma. We pulled up, all got out and headed to the door...Georgie had been watching for us (we were communicating through emails) and we walked up the ramp to the door. I was the first one in, and saw my Grandpa sitting there, reading the paper (NO EYE PATCH!) He didn't hear me walking, so I sat down and said "what are you reading?" I've never seen such a shocked look on anyone's face! Then he saw my sister, Lindsey, my mom and dad and was  flabbergasted!



pure love


If I had to lose a job over that, it was worth it a million times over. His spirit is just as amazing as always, his humour is just as acid tongued as ever, and he's only using one cane....Sometimes showing off without. 

His eyepatch was gone, he looked happy and healthy to me and, I think, our presence really helped boost his spirits. This was the most important trip I could have ever taken; we don't know if he has a year, 5 years, 6 months...nobody does. So I was so happy to spend as much time with him as I could, even if it was just  me, my dad and gramps all falling asleep watching TV with Linz laughing at us. Memories I will never forget, stories I will never forget (I learned so much about his illustrious history in the trucking industry, how he used to race stock cars, there's history in everything he says, so he speaks and we listen).

We were able to take home some amazing photographs from his past, as well as hilarious pictures of ourselves over the years.  (I'll post those soon)

family love

we love our gramps

just found out he hates this pic because the cane is in it and he feels
like "one of the old geezers down at the pool hall" :)


When it was time to leave, I gave my grandpa the longest hug I could; I felt tears well up in my eyes, could barely breath and couldn't stand for him to see me that way so I hugged him one more time and had to go out in the cool mountain air to cry...I didn't want him or my mom to see. I don't know when I'll be out there again but it was emotional, nonetheless. He is the most amazing man, and I cannot wait to see him again. 











No comments:

Post a Comment